Date posted: May 15, 2019
Location: Kitimat BC
Status: Full-Time / Temporary / Seconded to BJM Joint Venture
A key member of the Management team responsible for implementing and achieving the project, operational and financial objectives of the equipment department. Tasked with ensuring safety, quality and production goals meet BJM’s Joint Venture (JV) standards. Specifically, this position is responsible for the management and implementation of mechanical/equipment operational and maintenance decisions. This position supports the operations of the project by providing the most effective equipment and mechanical solutions on time and on budget, ensuring the project gross margin targets are achieved. This position manages staffing of the equipment department; and all equipment and mechanical resources to support ongoing profitability of the project.
Education, Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, designation an asset.
- Minimum ten (10) years of heavy equipment fleet management experience preferably within the civil construction industry.
- Experience in equipment asset management with proven track record managing all financial aspects of a comprehensive marine/land-based fleet is a requirement.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, to supervisor and colleagues.
- An inspiring leadership style with a proven track record of building, motivating and leading successful teams.
- A decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve goals.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage multiple projects in various stages of development often within tight time frames.
- Ability to look beyond the immediate problem to the wider implications, generating new solutions to complex problems.
- Proficient in MS Office software (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Ability to work efficiently with personnel of varying backgrounds and skill levels.
- Must be able to incorporate and carry out company and client safety with a proven safety track record.
- Understand construction industry specifications.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have a clean driving record.
Key Activities / Results Areas
Strategy and Management
- Manage the department staff and the daily activities of the department.
- Guidance and recommendations to the Management on equipment matters.
- Assist with overall project equipment planning.
- To advise on sourcing, buying and selling equipment.
- Develop, supervise and maintain the projects’ equipment management system.
- Develop and control the correct use of equipment maintenance and store systems.
- Evaluate equipment cost and performance.
- Control and evaluate equipment reporting.
- Advice on main equipment overhaul.
- Keep archive (electronic and paper) up to date.
- To assist the project manager on technical matters related to equipment.
- Organise, execute equipment mobilisation, demobilisation, and permits to ensure equipment is available in time and in a correct way.
- Conduct and report on equipment maintenance condition.
- To ensure plant yard, workshop and store operations are executed.
- Inspection of lifting gear.
- Assist with supervision of equipment erection.
- Registration of hours and consumables of personnel and equipment.
- Assist with equipment transfers and ensure process equipment administration documentation are being handled appropriately.
- Develop, supervise and maintain the equipment and tow insurance.
- Coordinate and oversee insurance claims.
- Assess and evaluate third party agreements.
- Organise and report on equipment in and out surveys.
- Inspection of third-party equipment.
- Oversee registration and licenses for personnel and equipment.
- Organise transport of equipment.
- Co-ordinate import/export of equipment.
- Ensure that the company’s management system is implemented and adhered to with regards to Plant management.
- Organise, timely safety inspections and maintenance of equipment.
- Organise, instruct, train and certify equipment operators and personnel.
- Ensure plant, equipment and materials used are sufficient to carry out the work with the least environmental impact.
- Put disciplinary measures in place where environmental rules, policies and procedures are breached.
- Fully aware of Project Environmental Plan and environmental requirements of the project.