Date posted: September 10, 2019
Location: Kitimat BC
JJM Construction is involved in all aspects of construction such as heavy civil, structural, marine construction and environmental and navigational dredging. JJM is committed to providing every project with a highly skilled work force, a highly respected management team, highly developed quality control and safety programs and a commitment to growth, stability, quality and performance to get the job done right.
We are seeking an experienced Advanced Certified Rigger to join our project team. Key areas of responsibility will be to attach loads to rigging equipment, to prepare the load for moving, attach pulleys and blocks to structures and overhead structures such as beams, ceilings, and gin pole booms, using bolts and clamps to prepare for the moving load, control movements of heavy equipment through narrow openings or confined spaces, using chain-falls, gin poles, gallows frames, and other equipment. All work must be completed in a safe and effective manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life.
JJM Construction Ltd. is part of BJM JV, a joint venture between BAM International, JJM Construction Ltd. and Manson Construction. BJM is one of the larger contractors of the LNGC Project in Kitimat, BC.
- This role is based at the Material Offloading Facility (MOF) among the first phases for the LNG Canada development on a 14 days in/ 7 days out rotation that includes working weekends and holidays, overtime and being on stand-by or ready for callouts.
- The incumbent works a 10-hour daily schedule that may include day and nightshifts.
- LNGC offers a full range of comfortable contemporary camp living conditions on site.
- Travel allowance provided for non-local residents. Note: there are no accommodations for local residents, including those residing in Terrace. Company provided shuttle transportation will be provided from Terrace to the project site.
JJM Construction Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace with safety as a primary consideration in all we do.
- Fulford Certified Level 2 – Advanced Rigger or equivalent certification, required.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a heavy marine industrial setting.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract (per company insurance requirements).
- CSTS-09 certificate.
The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the essential functions, while providing the highest quality construction services and products safely, effectively and efficiently to ensure JJM Construction’s principle of “Building to Last” endures for future generations.
Health and Safety
- Strictly adhere to the JJM Construction OHS Manual.
- Follow JJM Construction safe work practices and safe job procedures.
- Follow the BC Occupational Health and Safety and Transport Canada Regulations.
- Ensure a safe work environment for our people, clients, subcontractors, and the public.
Operational Performance and Best Practices
- Must have excellent knowledge of crane components and set-up requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of piles, sheet piles, and vibro equipment.
- Have a thorough knowledge of rigging calculations, ability to calculate complex load weight, calculate complex centre of gravity, share of load calculations, sling tension calculations and tension calculations for unequal sling length and uneven pick points.
- Must have exceptional crane knowledge, site set-up requirements, and understand limits of approach for electrical lines and load chart exercise.
- Must know when to use alternate lifting devices. Inspection and correct use, lever hoists (come along), chain falls, winches and snatch blocks.
- Understand load turning and load drifting, rigging a load for turning and the procedure for drifting a load with two manual chain hoists including calculation of maximum hoist tension.
- Understand and use proper radio communication protocols, radio system requirements and give voice commands using the required elements.
- Knowledge of blocks and reeving, pulleys and mechanical advantage, calculate lead line and anchor loads, correct reeving practices and inspection of block.
- Demonstrate understanding and use of wire rope. Inspection and correct use, the different types of wire rope construction and their advantages/weaknesses and the correct application of manual wire rope terminations (clips, wedge sockets).
- Demonstrate understanding and use of below the hook devices. Inspection and correct use, spreader bars, lifting beams, plate clamps and man basket rigging.
- Experience preparing and reviewing lift plans.
- Lead by example.
- Wear, and participate in the ongoing training of, the required PPE for the position.