Date posted: October 10, 2019
Location: Kitimat BC
JJM Construction is involved in all aspects of construction such as heavy civil, structural, marine construction and environmental and navigational dredging. JJM is committed to providing every project with a highly skilled work force, a highly respected management team, highly developed quality control and safety programs and a commitment to growth, stability, quality and performance to get the job done right.
We are seeking an experienced Heavy Duty Mechanic to join our project team. Key areas of responsibility are to perform major and minor repairs, overhauls and servicing on all types of heavy duty equipment and vehicles used at construction sites in a safe and effective manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life. Heavy Duty Mechanics repair and maintain equipment, hydraulic systems and electrical diagnosis in accordance with company and federal regulations. Heavy equipment operated at JJM include, but are not limited to, compactors, dozers, excavators, forklifts, front-end loaders, graders, rock trucks, wheeled and tracked vehicles/equipment.
JJM Construction Ltd. is part of BJM JV, a joint venture between BAM International, JJM Construction Ltd. and Manson Construction. BJM is one of the larger contractors of the LNGC Project in Kitimat, BC.
- This role is based at the Material Offloading Facility (MOF) among the first phases for the LNG Canada development on a 14 days in/ 7 days out rotation that includes working weekends and holidays, overtime and being on stand-by or ready for callouts.
- The incumbent works a 10-hour daily schedule that may include day and nightshifts.
- LNGC offers a full range of comfortable contemporary camp living conditions on site.
- Travel allowance provided for non-local residents. Note: there are no accommodations for local residents, including those residing in Terrace. Company provided shuttle transportation will be provided from Terrace to the project site.
JJM Construction Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace with safety as a primary consideration in all we do.
- Interprovincial Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic trade certification.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in a related field.
- Prior experience with Caterpillar, Hitachi and Manitowoc equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract (per company insurance requirements).
- CSTS-09 certificate.
The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the essential functions, while providing the highest quality construction services and products safely, effectively and efficiently to ensure JJM Construction’s principle of “Building to Last” endures for future generations.
Health and Safety
- Strictly adhere to the JJM Construction OHS Manual.
- Follow JJM Construction safe work practices and safe job procedures.
- Follow the BC Occupational Health and Safety and Transport Canada Regulations.
- Ensure a safe work environment for our people, clients, subcontractors, and the public.
Operational Performance and Best Practices
- Perform maintenance on equipment according to owner, manufacturer and federal specifications, including changing oil or repairing, replacing, cleaning and adjusting parts.
- Diagnose diesel/ gas engine, electrical, hydraulic, driveline malfunctions and making required repairs.
- Inspect all equipment to be repaired for defects and malfunctions.
- Operate all equipment to be repaired for testing and movement to and from shop.
- Use electric and oxy-acetylene welding equipment, lubrication equipment and other repair tools and equipment.
- Clean, lubricate and maintain all equipment, as scheduled and required.
- Operate hand and power tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Repair and service various equipment attachments.
- Prepare inspection, maintenance, work reports and record details on prescribed forms and log books in accordance with established company procedures.
- Communicate effectively with crew via hand signals and radio communications (when applicable).
- Lead by example.
- Wear, and participate in the ongoing training of, the required PPE for the position.