Date posted: January 9, 2019
Location: Delta BC
JJM Construction is involved in all aspects of construction such as heavy civil, structural, marine construction and environmental and navigational dredging. JJM is committed to providing every project with a highly skilled work force, a highly respected management team, highly developed quality control and safety programs and a commitment to growth, stability, quality and performance to get the job done right.
The Marine Mechanic is an integral part of the team responsible in the operation and maintenance of a vessel’s mechanical equipment, electrical and auxiliary systems. The main activities of the Marine Mechanic include deck operations on the derrick barges, operation of spud and anchor winch systems, repairing machinery systems, and planning and performing long-term machinery maintenance schedules. The Marine Mechanic is required to work in tight spaces such as the engine room bilge, crane engine room and work with heavy pieces of equipment. The Marine Mechanic inspects, tests, maintains, repairs, modifies and installs equipment associated with the onboard mechanical systems.
JJM Construction Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace with safety as a primary consideration in all we do.
- Three to five (3 – 5) years’ marine mechanical experience.
- Small Vessel Machinery Operator, Pleasure Craft Operator Card and CSTS-09 certificate(s), required.
- Interprovincial Red Seal Heavy Duty Mechanic trade certification, preferred.
- Marine Basic First Aid, Restricted Operator’s Certificate, MED A1 and MED A2 certificate(s) are an asset.
- Physically fit, with excellent stamina and the ability to perform manual labour.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract (per company insurance requirements).
The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the essential functions, while providing the highest quality construction services and products safely, effectively and efficiently to ensure JJM Construction’s principle of “Building to Last” endures for future generations.
Health and Safety
- Strictly adhere to the JJM Construction OHS Manual.
- Follow JJM Construction safe work practices and safe job procedures.
- Follow the BC Occupational Health and Safety and Transport Canada Regulations.
- Ensure a safe work environment for our people, clients, subcontractors, and the public.
Operational Performance and Best Practices
- Monitor, operate and maintain the following equipment:
- Derrick barge spud and anchor winch systems
- Power generator systems
- Hydraulic systems
- Auxiliary systems including: hot and cold fresh water, high and low pressure air
- Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical control systems used in monitors, alarms and other marine equipment.
- Perform daily greasing and service checks and maintenance on derrick equipment and cranes.
- Perform maintenance and operation duties on various flat barges, ramp barges, split hull hopper barges, work boats and crew boats.
- Filling and transfer systems for water, fuels and lubricants.
- Read and interpret engineering sketches and drawings, including electrical, mechanical and hydraulic, pneumatic and fluid drawings.
- Perform other duties, functions and services, consistent with status or vocational ability as may from time to time be required.
- Responsible for most paperwork, ordering, maintaining spare parts inventory, and involved in critical engine repairs.
- Lead by example.