Date Posted: May 13, 2020
Location: Delta BC
JJM Construction is involved in all aspects of heavy civil construction including structural, marine construction, and environmental and navigational dredging. JJM is committed to providing every project with a highly skilled work force, a highly respected management team, highly developed quality control and safety programs and a commitment to growth, stability, quality and performance to get the job done right. JJM Construction Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace with safety as a primary consideration in all we do.
Reporting to the Equipment Manager, the Mechanical Superintendent represents the best interests of JJM in the successful delivery of assigned projects as well as providing leadership to ensure the smooth functioning of day-to-day operations and implementing the field aspects of the agreed project plan and schedule, including safety, quality control, and the delegation of work to field staff, trades and suppliers.
Included in this role are Heavy Duty Mechanic responsibilities not limited to performing major and minor repairs, overhauls and servicing on all types of heavy-duty equipment and vehicles used at construction sites safely and effectively to minimize the risk of injury or property damage.
The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facts of the essential functions, while providing the highest quality construction services and products safely, effectively and efficiently to ensure JJM Construction’s principle of “Building to Last” endures for future generations.
- In collaboration with the Equipment Manager, assist in developing work plans and methodologies, material approvals, management of activities, equipment, staff, materials and resources required by the project to ensure they are available prior to the actual work occurring.
- Support, mentor and coach assigned team to ensure safe work practices are implemented and adhered to, quality workmanship and sound work ethics are followed, and productivity and schedules are managed effectively.
- Ensure efficient use and maintenance of labour, equipment and materials ensuring JJM’s high-quality standards are met.
- Ensure safety measures meet or exceed the parameters set out by the JJM Occupational Health and Safety Manual, Project Health and Safety Plan, WorkSafeBC or any other authorities, and meet the requirements for the job site.
- Oversee care of vehicles, equipment and tools, including rental items from other sources that are on the project site; ensure all items are returned to safe and secured areas upon completion of the work shift.
- Ensure equipment and tools utilized are inspected daily and/or as-required basis, and logbooks are maintained current.
- Perform other duties, functions and services, consistent with status or vocational ability as may be required from time to time.
- Represent JJM to the public in a manner consistent with corporate values and goals.
- Lead by example.
- Manage the execution of projects to consistently meet the goal of “Safety First” ensuring safety management standards and expectations are met.
- Ensure Team Members are equipped with the information, knowledge, training and supervision to work safely.
- Identify, control and communicate all known hazards to Team Members under supervision.
- Strictly adhere to the JJM Construction OHS Manual.
- Ensure a safe work environment for our Team Members, clients, subcontractors and the public.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline or a combination of technical training plus extensive mechanical experience/knowledge.
- Interprovincial Red Seal Heavy duty Mechanic trade certification.
- Minimum five (5) years of supervisory experience, preferably within the civil construction industry.
- Working knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to crane and heavy equipment operations.
- Solid understanding of cost control and budget management.
- Proficient in MS Office software (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Proven ability to successfully guide crews.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple tasks often within tight timeframes.
- Previous experience in a values-based, high-integrity, privately held and/or family-owned business.
- Ability to look beyond the immediate problem to wider implications, generating new solutions to complex problems.
- Possess a strong core value, understanding and approach to safety with a proven safety record.
- Able to work independently with limited supervision.
- Results-oriented with a sense of urgency and motivated by success.
- Enthusiasm for challenge and new initiatives.
- Must possess a valid driver’s licence and have a clean driving record.
- Willing and able to travel and work at future project locations for extended periods when necessary (including locations situated out of town and out of province).
- Willing to work additional hours as required and able to perform physically demanding work as required. Must be able to work on water and in marine applications.
Please forward your resumé along with a cover letter stating how your experience and qualifications are a match for this opportunity as well as your salary expectations.