Date posted: October 1, 2019
Location: Delta BC
JJM Construction is involved in all aspects of construction such as heavy civil, structural, marine construction and environmental and navigational dredging. JJM is committed to providing every project with a highly skilled work force, a highly respected management team, highly developed quality control and safety programs and a commitment to growth, stability, quality and performance to get the job done right.
A Pipelayer is responsible to lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains at construction sites in a safe and effective manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life. They perform tasks involving physical labour on construction sites in accordance with JJM policies and procedures. Tasks performed by Pipelayers include, but are not limited to, grade trenches or culverts, position pipe and seal joints and dewatering.
JJM Construction Ltd. is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace with safety as a primary consideration in all we do.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ heavy civil pipe laying experience. Specifically, experience with pressure/gravity PVC/Concrete/HDPE and all associated appurtenances and complementary structures including, but not limited to, manholes and chambers.
- Valid HDPE Pipe Fusion Certificate.
- CSTS-09 certificate.
- H2S Alive, Confined Space Entry & Rescue, Standard First Aid (OFA Level 1) and WHMIS are an asset.
- Physically fit, with excellent stamina and the ability to perform hard manual labour.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract (per company insurance requirements).
The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the essential functions, while providing the highest quality construction services and products safely, effectively and efficiently to ensure JJM Construction’s principle of “Building to Last” endures for future generations.
Health and Safety
- Strictly adhere to the JJM Construction OHS Manual.
- Follow JJM Construction safe work practices and safe job procedures.
- Follow the BC Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
- Ensure a safe work environment for our people, clients, subcontractors, and the public.
Operational Performance and Best Practices
- Load, unload and transport construction materials.
- Assist heavy equipment operators.
- Assist in aligning pipes during pipeline construction.
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements.
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints, using welding equipment, cement, or glue.
- Cut pipes to required lengths and cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths, by hand or using trenching tools. Work with shoring crew.
- Grade and level trench bases, using tamping machines and hand tools.
- Install and repair sanitary and storm water sewer structures and pipe systems.
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints, and coordinating layouts with supervisors.
- Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
- Perform dewatering installation, operations and procedures.
- Review all safe work practices and procedures associated with the job prior to ask execution.
- Carry out work in a manner that will not jeopardize own/others safety.
- Lead by example.
- Wear, and participate in the ongoing training of, the required PPE for the position/task at hand.
- Perform housekeeping tasks and other duties as assigned by the supervisor.