Date posted: October 12, 2021
Location: Squamish BC
JJM Construction is one of British Columbia’s leading heavy civil and marine construction contractors. Building on a foundation of safety, quality and performance, JJM is committed to innovation and environmental stewardship—pushing the industry forward while remaining mindful of the planet. JJM has been COR certified through the BC Construction Safety Alliance since 2004.
The Project Superintendent provides leadership to ensure the smooth functioning of day-to-day operations, implementing the field aspects of the agreed project plan and schedule, including safety, quality control, and the delegation of work to field Team Members, trades and suppliers. The Superintendent ensures that projects are completed on time, within budget and meets financial targets.
This is a permanent, full-time position with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure all activity to perform the work is in a productive, safe environment and that quality control standards are met.
- Ensure that projects are built according to approved plans, specifications and applicable codes.
- Responsible for supervision and management of assigned JJM field staff assigned to the project.
- Ensure quality is a guiding principle in the execution of all work.
- Experience in land grading.
- Experience with continuous shoring materials and methods (sheet pile/slide rail, etc.).
- A collaborative mindset in regard to working with the project team and owners/clients.
- Progressive development in the background that demonstrates competence in the essential skills of the job (equipment operator/pipe layer/foreman).
- Willingness to properly document and report project activities.
- Safety and production-driven mindset. Believes you can accomplish a lot – safely – and that the two are not mutually exclusive.
- Ensure safety is a primary consideration in the execution of all work.
- Lead by example.
- Reports directly to the Project Manager.
- Develops and maintains effective working relations with subcontractors and suppliers to ensure both JJM and the owner’s requirements are achieved.
Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- Post-Secondary education in a related discipline, or a combination of technical training plus extensive experience/knowledge of construction, required.
- Minimum five (5) years’ supervisory experience/ knowledge of construction, civil preferred.
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills (Outlook, Word and Excel).
- Advanced knowledge of various construction disciplines.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A solid understanding of cost control and budget management.
- A strong core value, understanding and approach to safety with a proven safety record.
- Proven ability to successfully manage job-site crew.
- Ability to read and understand drawings, specifications and surveys.
- Must possess a valid driver’s licence and have a clean driving record.
- Willing to work additional hours as required.
- Able to perform physically demanding work as may be required.
- Responsible for mentoring hourly workers.
- Ideally have a labourer or equipment operator experience/background.
- Perform other duties, functions and services, consistent with status or vocational ability as may, from time to time, be required.
Occupational Health and Safety Leadership
- Strictly adhere to the JJM Construction OHS Manual.
- Follow JJM Construction safe work practices and safe job procedures.
- Ensure that Team Members are equipped with the information, knowledge, training and supervision to work safely.
- Identify, control and communicate all known hazards to Team members under your supervision.
- Provide required PPE and ensure Team Members are aware of proper use, inspection and maintenance requirements.
- Follow the BC Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
- Ensure a safe work environment for our people, clients, subcontractors, and the public.
- Participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace.
Please email your resumé and cover letter to email@example.com, stating how your experience and qualifications are a match for this opportunity as well as your salary expectations.